March 21, 2016 4:05 pm

Bainimarama praises 21-yr-old cameraman

Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama made a special mention about a television cameraman of the Department of Information, Marcus Dreketirua while speaking at the launch of the induction of new permanent secretaries today at Suvavou house.

Markus Dreketirua.
Marcus Dreketirua.

PM Bainimarama said 21-year-old Marcus produced a video for a dinner fundraiser in Singapore.

It was edited at the Department of Information by a 21-year-old student on attachment from FNU by the name of Marcus Dreketirua. And he did a wonderful job. In fact, it brings tears to the eyes of many people who watch it.

That young man is already going places. And it’s our job to help him get there. To mentor Marcus and the next generation of talented Fijians so they can develop their talents for the common good.

Marcus, who is originally from Namata Village in Tailevu, was present at the event where PM Bainimarama made the announcement.  He told Newswire it was a big day for him.

Well, probably the first time, that was a really big moment and I was really proud while he was saying the speech, I felt like…I felt teary and all cause it was such a big day for me.

Basically, the message was from the PM and during the editing I incorporated it with some of the shots brought by the team from the highlands that was devastated by Cyclone Winston , mostly in Koro and all the places that were affect by the cyclone. So I put it together, all together with the Prime Ministers address to the people in Singapore.

Marcus said he looked forward to what the future had in store for him.

So far I am taking things slowly, since I am still on attachment and all, hoping that my talent and my interest in video editing and camera work would be recognized and I am just hoping it would get me somewhere good in future.

PM Bainimarama told the new Permanent Secretaries to inspire and mentor the younger ones who are working for the government.

We have some wonderful educated young people in Fiji looking for inspiration and to make a difference. So inspire them. Mentor them. Harness their energy and talent. Instill in them a dedication to public service.